Heptral 400 is used in adults for
- Supporting healthy liver function and reduction of tiredness and fatigue associated with poor liver function
- Providing general liver tonic effect
- Supporting healthy mood balance.
Each tablet of Heptral 400 contains 400mg of ademetionine (aka S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe)) which is a derivative of the amino acid methionine and is a naturally-occurring substance distributed throughout the human body. SAMe is an important constituent and is involved in multiple biochemical processes in the body.
- SAMe is a precursor for forming glutathione (GSH) which is the primary anti-oxidant within cells.
- Lack of SAMe promotes cellular proliferation and growth of liver cells. Supplementation of SAMe to physiological levels may be beneficial.
- SAMe may modulate the effects of pro-inflammatory versus anti-inflammatory substances implicated in liver injury.
In some liver diseases such as alcoholic hepatitis, it has been shown via liver biopsies that SAMe is depleted in the liver cells. This predisposes the liver to oxidative damage due to reduced glutathione synthesis among other reasons. Supplementation with SAMe may therefore confer benefits in liver diseases by:
- Protect against oxidative damage such as via glutatione synthesis
- Improve signs and symptoms of intraheptic cholestasis (IHC) such as fatigue and pruritus. IHC is a condition resulted from impaired bile flow commonly seen in alcoholic hepatitis, viral hepatitis and other liver diseases.
Dosage/Direction for Use
Adults: Take 1 or 2 tablets per day or as directed by the healthcare professional. Benefits are most likely evident after 7-14 days and are maintained with continued use. The maximum daily dose of 1600 mg/day (4 tablets of 400 mg) should not be exceeded.
Heptral 400 should be swallowed whole and not chewed.
For better absorption of the active ingredient and complete therapeutic effect, Heptral 400 should not be taken with meals.
People with genetic defects affecting the methionine cycle and/or causing homocystinuria and/or hyperhomocysteinemia (e.g. cystathionine betasynthase deficiency, Vitamin B12 metabolism defect) must not use Heptral 400.
If the patient is sensitive or allergic to the active substance or to any of the inactive ingredients, do not use Heptral 400.
Some patients may experience dizziness with the use of Heptral. Caution is advised when driving or operating machinery until reasonably certain that Heptral therapy does not affect their ability to engage in such activities.
If the patient is taking prescription psychiatric medications, consult physician before using this product.
People with bipolar disorder (maniac-depressive illness) should not use Heptral 400 unless under medical supervision.
This product may cause anxiety, restlessness and insomnia.
Use in children: Heptral is not recommended for use in children.